Friday, November 16, 2012

Montana weather/Apples

Was on the computer this morning looking at the National Weather site.  I have family that lives near Great Falls, Montana so I have that place highlighted on my computer to instantly keep tabs on their weather.  The weather site has little squares with the town and temperature and if there are very important weather news a tiny red dot with a number in it telling you how many alerts there are.  This morning Great Falls had one alert and of course I went to see what snow blizzard was there now.  It was a child abduction emergency alert.  This is very interesting and a first for me.  Great way to get the news out.  It gave a lot of details so one might even be able to help.  I checked out the site just before I went to publish this blog and the alert is no longer there.  I am hoping this means that all is well for the little three year old.  

We stayed home and did my most loved thing to do (NOT), clean out draws.  It is done now and I can forget that job for another year.  Yes, that is all one needs to clean draws as far as I am concerned.   

I am going to include the recipe for the apple dessert I blogged about before.  We ate the last of the last batch I made.  I have another batch of apples so we will be having that yummy stuff again real soon.  This is out of a book called, America's Test Kitchen Cooking for Two 2012,  I really think you should purchase the book yourself because there are so many good recipes in it.  I got it because there are only two of us and it is great.

America's Test Kitchen is a 2,500 square foot kitchen located just outside of Boston.  Their mission is to test recipes over and over again until they understand why and how they work and until they arrive at the "best" version.  You can watch then work by tuning in to American's Test Kitchen.  It is really a very interesting and informative show.  

                      Skillet Apple Crisp

   You will need an 8-inch oven safe skillet for this recipe.  They do not recommend Granny Smith apples 

Topping
1/4   cup  all purpose flour
1/4   cup pecans, chopped fine.  (I used walnuts not chopped fine)
1/4   cup old-fashion rolled oats
3 Tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1  Tablespoon granulated sugar 
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3    Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Filling

1 1/2 pound Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, halved, and           cut into 1/2 inch thick wedges
2    Tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4  teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2  cup apple cider  (I have never used this when I made it)
1     teaspoon lemon juice
1      Tablespoon unsalted butter

1. For the topping:  Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees.  Combine flour, nuts, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and salt in medium bowl.  Stir in melted butter until mixture is thoroughly moistened and crumbly; set aside.  

2. For the filling:  Toss apples, sugar, and cinnamon together in medium bowl; set aside.  Bring cider to simmer in 8-inch skillet over medium heat; cook until reduced to 1/3 cup, 2 to 3 minutes.  Transfer reduced cider to bowl and stir in lemon juice.     

3.  Melt butter in now empty skillet over medium heat.  Add apple mixture and cook, stirring frequently, until apples begin to soften and become transparent 
, 12 to 14 minutes.  (Do not fully cook apples) Off heat gently stir in cider mixture until apples are coated.

4.  Sprinkle topping evenly over fruit, breaking up any large chunks.  Place skillet on baking sheet and bake until fruit is tender and topping is deep golden brown, 15 - 20 minutes.  Let rest for 15 minutes.  

 Have fun making it and more fun eating it.

I understand this problem is happening everywhere.

 
     





 

No comments:

Post a Comment