Thursday, May 2, 2013

A big shout out to my brother and Laura's uncle Jerry for coming to her rescue.  She wasn't sure if she needed to go to the hospital or what.  Laura is trying to get over pneumonia.  Has gone to the doc twice.  He has changed her meds and she has stayed home from work for almost a week and still she is having major problems.  She is exhausted and coughing.  Well last night she had a bad spell and the doc said she either broke a rib or ruptured something with a big long medical name I don't remember around the lungs. This means big pain for just breathing let alone moving around.   Anyway the only thing to fix the problem is rest and major pain meds so she can sleep and rest.  So Jerry took her to the pharmacy to get the good stuff becaue she was in no shape to drive herself.  

Thanks Jerry and Jane for being there for her.   

 Today we headed into Hershey to visit chocolate and it was fun and tasty.

 This greets you above the doors to the world of chocolate or Chocolate World if you insist.
This is a free "Disney" type ride to learn all about chocolate and how it is created.
You are in a far away land at the Coca Plantation.
Your on the ship with a shipment of cocoa beans.
This was our official guide
Cute ride .  You see the behinds of the girls and now....
the fronts of the girls and they are singing so sweetly.
Hershey's milk chocolate starts with the freshest and best mild in all of the kingdom.
The cocoa bean are loaded onto train cars and shipped to the factory in Hershey, Penn.
bags of the beans are entering the factory.
Different countries with their different types of soil and kinds of cocoa beans need to be blended and this is where that happens.
The ride takes you into the roasting ovens and you are warmed up almost like a cocoa bean.  LOL  They also fill the ride with the smell of chocolate in the bar and kisses area. 
The girls are singing again
chocolate paste
Rog with an ice cream sundae.
More info on Mr. Hershey that I thought was very interesting.

 Chocolate World the story of Milton S. Hershey and his great accomplishments.  The town of Hershey is his design and dream and it is a really pretty place.  I would come live here.

 (this article is from Wikipedia)
Milton Snavely Hershey (September 13, 1857 – October 13, 1945) was an American confectioner, philanthropist, and founder of The Hershey Chocolate Company and the "company town" of Hershey, Pennsylvania.
He was honored by the USPS with a 32¢ postage stamp.

Milton Hershey was born on September 13, 1857, to Veronica "Fanny" Snavely and Henry Hershey. His family were members of Pennsylvania's Mennonite community. His ancestors were Swiss and German and had settled in Pennsylvania in the early 1700s. 

Lancaster Caramel Company

Returning to Lancaster in 1887, Hershey established the Lancaster Caramel Company, which quickly became an outstanding success. Utilizing a caramel recipe he had obtained during his previous travels, his company soared to the top. It was this business that established him as a candy maker, and set the stage for future accomplishments.
Hershey became fascinated with the machinery to make German chocolate exhibited at the 1893 World's Colombian Exposition by J. M. Lehmann Co. of Dresden, Germany, and bought the equipment for his company.

Hershey Chocolate

With the proceeds from the 1900 sale of the Lancaster Caramel Company, Hershey initially acquired farm land about 30 miles northwest of Lancaster, near his birthplace of Derry Church. There, he could obtain the large supplies of fresh milk needed to perfect and produce fine milk chocolate. Excited by the potential of milk chocolate, which at that time was a luxury product, Hershey was determined to develop a formula for milk chocolate and market and sell it to the American public. Through trial and error, he created his own formula for milk chocolate. The first Hershey's Bar was enjoyed in 1900. Hershey's Kisses were developed in 1907, and the Hershey's Bar with almonds was introduced in 1908.
On March 2, 1903, he began construction on what was to become the world’s largest chocolate manufacturing company. The facility, completed in 1905, was designed to manufacture chocolate using the latest mass production techniques. Hershey’s milk chocolate quickly became the first nationally marketed product of its kind.
The factory was in the center of a dairy farmland, but with Hershey’s support, houses, businesses, churches, and a transportation infrastructure accreted around the plant. Because the land was surrounded by dairy farms, he was able to use fresh milk to mass-produce quality milk chocolate. Hershey continued to experiment and perfect the process of making milk chocolate using the techniques he had first learned for adding milk to make caramels when he had moved to Colorado.


On May 25, 1898, Hershey married Catherine "Kitty" Sweeney. Since the couple could not have children, they decided to help others, establishing the Hershey Industrial School with a Deed of Trust in 1909. Catherine died prematurely in 1915 and Hershey never remarried. In 1918, Hershey transferred the majority of his assets, including control of the company, to the Milton Hershey School Trust fund, to benefit the Industrial School. The trust fund has a majority of voting shares in The Hershey Company, allowing it to keep control of the company. In 1951, the school was renamed the Milton Hershey School.  He took great pride in the growth of the school, the town, and his business. He placed the quality of his product and the well-being of his workers ahead of profits.

In 1935, Hershey established the M.S. Hershey Foundation, a private charitable foundation that provides educational and cultural opportunities for Hershey residents. 
The founding of the Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center occurred when the board of the trust went to the Dauphin County Orphans Court with the cy-pres doctrine (cy près is a French phrase meaning "As close as possible"). It was a gift from the Milton Hershey School Trust to the people of Pennsylvania, with an initial endowment of $50 million and only one restriction—the hospital had to be built in Hershey. The hospital is a teaching hospital with an annual budget exceeding the initial construction cost


In 1912, the Hersheys were to travel on the ill-fated British luxury liner RMS Titanic. However, they canceled their reservations because Kitty Hershey was ill at the time. Instead, they booked passage to New York City on the German luxury liner Amerika. The Hershey Museum displays a copy of the check Hershey wrote to the White Star Line as a deposit for a first class stateroom on the Titanic.

World War II

Hershey Chocolate supplied the U.S. armed forces with chocolate bars during WW II. These bars were called Ration D Bars and Tropical Chocolate Bars. The Ration D Bar had very specific requirements from the army: It had to weigh 1 or 2 ounces (28 or 57 g); it had to resist melting at higher temperatures than 90 degrees, and it had to have an unpleasant-enough flavor to prevent the troops from developing cravings for them. After a year or two, the Army was impressed enough with the durability and success of the Ration D Bar to commission Milton to make the Tropical Chocolate Bar. The only difference between them was that the Tropical Chocolate Bar was made to taste better than the Ration D Bar did and still be as durable as the Ration D Bar was. Tropical Chocolate Bars were designed not to melt in the tropical weather. It is estimated that between 1940 and 1945, over 3 billion of the Ration D Bars and Tropical Chocolate Bars were produced and distributed to soldiers throughout the world. In 1939, the Hershey plant was capable of producing 100,000 ration bars a day. By the end of World War II, the entire Hershey plant was producing ration bars at a rate of 24 million a week. For their service throughout World War II, the Hershey Chocolate Company was issued five Army-Navy 'E' Production Awards for exceeding expectations for quality and quantity in the production of the Ration D Bar and Tropical Chocolate Bar. The Hershey factory machine shop even made some parts for tanks and machines during the war.


Milton S. Hershey died at the age of 88 on October 13, 1945, in Hershey Hospital, a year after he had retired from the board.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment